Tuesday 20 March 2012

post-therapy

i feel a lot better today. therapy was very constructive. i did get some perspective on the things that have upset me over the last week, and i have realised that nothing has actually changed in my life. all the things i'm upset about are to do with feelings of rejection, which is the one thing in life i'm most afraid of, so it's probably not surprising that i lost my shit completely over the last few days.

i find this process to be almost essential in my life now. there's never been anyone i could talk to about this kind of thing for an hour at a time without feeling like i'm boring them or being self-indulgent... which of course, i am, but i'm paying for that privilege, so i'm not embarrassed by it. i always rejected the idea of therapy because i associate it so much with medication and brain chemistry, but this is psychoanalysis, which is completely different to the therapy i did when i saw a psychiatrist. that was pretty awful. he looked at me like a specimen in a petri dish and i felt like i was telling him all this raw emotional stuff from my life and he was cutting out the details and looking for patterns that fit examples he's seen in textbooks. plus i reject the whole concept of antidepressants. i will try almost any drug, but not antidepressants.

anyway, after the session i had a bit of a spring in my step again, walked around smiling. i generally feel a lot better. i wanted to wallow in my depression last night but my massive Spanish flatmate who looks identical to Clive Owen sat in my room literally all night, which was great. i love making connections with new people; it's the only thing that makes me feel alive. would be better if it happened with a girl, of course. i need to fuck the shit out of somebody, i think. that's the best possible solution to this mess.

every time my phone vibrates my stomach kind of drops and i hope it's a text from that waitress. it is retarded how much hope i invested in that girl.

6 comments:

  1. Why do you reject the whole concept of anti depressants?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. because i don't accept that the treatment for depression is medication. i'm depressed because of what i've learned in life and the experiences i've had, so i can unlearn them and get over the shit i've been through with therapy, i believe.

      Delete
    2. I see what you mean, but you posted about having a life changing experience which helped your depression after trying MDMA. Taking anti depressants could give you a similar insight, might relieve your anxiety and allow you to get on with your life without being depressed, then once you stop taking them your experiences will stick with you and you'll be over it.

      Just a thought, I'm not a massive anti depressant advocate or anything. If you think the therapy is working then stick with it. Good luck mate.

      Delete
    3. for me, i trust MDMA a lot more than antidepressants. there are a lot of side effects to antidepressants, and i've seen friends on them. they seem... diluted afterwards. castrated, even. placid. i don't like it.

      therapy is a big, big help for me.

      Delete
  2. You need to come out and party with some Irish lads that will put a spring in your step and a hangover in your day. I think you take life too seriously and while I can't begin to understand any of your past experiences good or bad you need to maybe stop over thinking things. Everything doesn't need an answer or a reason. I am not advocating a life of ignorance either but you need to stop living your life like your a character in skins and start forging your own path. Also while I fucking love weed your using it as an escape which I have done from time to time but dont make a habit out of it. Man a bit of Irish advice get a grip and cop the fuck on you cause you ain't getting out of this world alive. Like I said Alex I don't know you apart from what i have seen here on fitocracy and of course /fit/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Above comment is posted with the utmost respect Alex. Oh and excuse the poor grammar and typos doing it of my phone.

      Delete